Sunday, March 1, 2015

Truly Victorian Imperial Skirt TV263

I am happy to report that this is a delightful skirt to make. And the reason I like is so much is because of the bournous pleat. It is essentially a large fold of fabric that will lay over to which ever side you prefer, on the back of your skirt. This gives you a lot of fabric volume at the back of the skirt and no need to try and gather it all to a waist band. There are 2 sets of ties inside the skirt that pull the fullness to the back. The most time consuming part was hemming. I decided to use a deep hem that was hand stitched. Had I put some ruffles on the bottom I would have just machine stitched.
Here you can see the pleat of fabric laying over to the side. I waited until I had finished my entire costume to hem this skirt. I was undecided about my shoes and whether I wanted a train.

 Back view. Normally when I am in the middle of my process I just use safety pins as my closures. Once I am done I will mark my fabric where I need the hooks and sew them on.
Front view. Love the vertical stripes. I look much taller than my 5 foot 4 inch height.

Up next, The Cascade Overskirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment