Thursday, December 3, 2015

Sometimes people ask me if I am crazy....

Well not exactly. However, I have had people ask me how I am able to get as much sewing done as I seem to do. No, I don't live a life of leisure and just sew all day long. I have a family I care for and a part time job. What I try to do is schedule my sewing time. Nancy Zieman has a book called 10-20-30 minutes to sew. The theory is even if you only have 10 minutes you can make progress on any project. Some evenings I only have 30 minutes, or less. Yes, there are some days where I can get an uninterrupted block of sewing time. But for the most part I am chunking away at my current project. Also, I only work on one project at a time. I may have other things lined up, but never cut out or cluttering my space.

The other thing I find helpful is to block out time on my calendar for specific projects. If I know there is a big event in February and I need to make a costume I will schedule it. It helps me keep my focus.

The only other thing I will add as far as luxury goes. My children are not babies or toddlers anymore.  One teen and one tween. To some extent much lower maintenance these days. Also, they are boys and have zero interest in mom's hobby, except to appreciate my work. And husband who enjoys seeing my efforts and even benefits from them.

My husband's Hello Kitty Pink Gandalf costume for Halloween 2014.
His idea, my sewing = 100% fun


In the end, I am not a perfect seamstress or a perfect housewife. I have all the same day to day obligations as the rest of the world. Maybe this post will help someone find a way to make a bit of time for their creative drive. It shouldn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. Creative people need regular feeding and watering at the artistic buffet. If we don't, we wilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment