Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Truly Victorian TV 298 1890s Umbrella Skirt

I am finally caught up with my blogging my summer sewing projects!! Please pardon my somewhat messy hair. It was very humid when I was taking photos.

Another great pattern by Truly Victorian. This is a one piece single back seam 1890s skirt. It is quite elegant and will do for day or evening.

Pattern, alterations and fabric:

This main body of this pattern is one large piece. That was the most challenging part of making TV 298. Finding the room to cut it out and hauling around all that fabric. Otherwise it went together perfectly.

I cut my usual TV size, 36 waist. I shortened it by approx 1.5 inches. No other alterations. The hips on this pattern are a bit roomy on me so I do wear hip pads with it. I could have done a bit more dart uptake but I decided I wanted to look like I have more hip spring than I do. Unfortunately for these pictures I am not wearing my hip pads. I forgot them. But you get the idea. So when you make this pattern pay attention to the fit in the hips and length of the skirt.

I used a light pink linen with a thin white pinstripe. Since the fabric was not quite opaque I did underline the skirt. I also made another Eaton jacket to go with it. May as well have a suit. Plus the Eaton is so easy to make, I love it!

This is a great skirt. Simple and pretty. I highly recommend this pattern. A truly great 1890s wardrobe staple.




No comments:

Post a Comment