Sunday, June 25, 2017

Simplicity 7157 Edwardian princess petticoat slip

I do not enjoy making my historical undergarments but this just had to be done. I have wanted and needed a princess combination petticoat slip. So I used Simplicity 7157 from the Simplicity vintage closet. My pictures aren't stellar. I had to recruit my 12yo son to help out. I was dressing for an event so I figured I may as well take photos of my slip. I am wearing my Edwardian combinations and my corset underneath the slip. The slip works like a corset cover and petticoat combined. Can you say convenient!

Sizing and alterations:
RST= right sides together
I made view A.
I waffled between the 18 & 20. My full bust is 42ish inches so I decided on the 20 and figured I could take it in at the side seams if needed. I cut size 16 for neckline and shoulder and size 20 for the rest. I shortened the waistline 1 inch. I also shortened the ruffle about 3 inches. I am 5ft 4 in. Looking at the cover photo I am figuring those ladies are 5ft 6 to 5ft 8. Technically the ruffle is sewn on top of the slip using a placement line. Meaning you have a full length slip with a ruffle overlay. I cut the slip off at the ruffle placement line and attached the ruffle in the standard RST manner. If you go this route you will need less fabric since you aren't cutting the full length of the slip. I made no other changes.

Fabric and construction:
Good quality crisp muslin. The higher quality muslin Joann's sells is pretty nice. It has a tightly woven and crisp hand. A lot like poplin. For the ruffle I used organdy and trimmed it with lace.
This is all princess seams so it can take a bit of time. I have a serger so I was able to whip through the main seams pretty quickly. The neckline and armholes I finished with bias tape. The neckline also calls for lace beading. Luckily I had enough in my stash to finish the neckline. No issues at all with the directions.

Final thoughts:
I am glad I took the time to make this. There is plenty of ease in this slip so use the finished garment measurements on the envelope. I am happy with the amount of ease room I have. If I was so inclined I could take it in a bit but there is no real need. It skims nicely over my Edwardian undergarments.

 It was a beautiful sunny morning!

 Back view. I know, kinda "yawn".

View A is on the left. I decided on that one because the model looks like a total hussy and I can relate. Ha! No, actually I went with view A because it has the least amount of ruffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment