Once I finished the dress I knew I would need a big full crinoline. I have had this OOP Simplicity pattern 3737 forever and view C was the perfect length for my 4918 dress.
Crinolines of different lengths and ruffle butt panties. I chose View C and ordered my 16 yards of crinoline netting. The pattern also wants you to purchase 40 yards of ribbon for ruffle trim. I prefer to use Xtra wide double fold bias tape for my crinolines. It gives a nice finish to the scratchy netting and a bit more body to the ruffles. Happily Vogue Fabrics sells it BTY in black and white. Yay! I ordered that too.
I have made two other crinolines from crinoline netting. I have only seen crinoline netting in black and white. I did make another fluffy petticoat that is a combination of poly organza, specialty netting (a stiffer netting that comes in some colors). However, I do not recommend this "specialty netting" because it's horrible to gather. Last but not least is el cheapo 72 inch wide netting that comes in a rainbow of colors. The grannies like to crochet this stuff into dish scrubbies. Needless to say it is very scratchy and more flexible than standard crinoline netting. However my poly organza petticoat is kinda hot to wear, so not my favorite.
I don't use tulle at all and I haven't tried nylon chiffon since I can't source it locally. Nylon chiffon makes fabulous petticoats. It's soft and super fluffy, in a way that tulle can only aspire to. Some of the prettiest petticoats you can purchase at Malco Modes are nylon chiffon. So yummy!
I used size 20 and shortened it by 2 inches. I tend to cut my waistband elastic smaller that the pattern recommends. It's like they want you to cut it at exactly your waist size and what good is that? My waist is 37 so I cut the elastic to 34. No other alterations.
Instructions and construction:
The instructions are fairly clear. I used the diagrams a lot for this project. Some of the sewing is counter intuitive. Wrong sides together, wrong side to right side. Basically in the end you have a two layer crinoline with all the scratchy seams facing each other in the middle.
It went together perfectly. This is a very labor intensive project because of all the cutting and gathering. I did use my gathering foot instead of a long basting stitch. It worked just fine and made it a bit quicker to finish. Just be warned this thing gets very fluffy and cumbersome as you sew it together. Be patient, the end result is worth it.
I decided to add some pink ribbon trim and pretty rosettes.