Sunday, May 24, 2020

Truly Victorian natural form part II TV423 and TV326

My natural form journey continues. This was my outfit for Saturday day at VicFest 2020. The underskirt is the same one I wore with the previous gown. FYI I'm still hanging at home but hopefully our state (Washington) will start to open up and I can see some of my friends (responsibly). :-)

Let's go! :-)

Pattern:
TV423 Two Toned Bodice.

Fabric:
Cotton poplin shirting, black with grey pinstripe from Fabric Mart. Contrast was grey silk taffeta that matched the underskirt.

Alterations:
I had to shorten the waist length considerably on this one.  Once I did that I had to add some length on the upper back of the bodice since I have a slight upper back curve and a forward shoulder. Those were my only alterations.

Construction:
This bodice was easy to sew together and I love the two toned look. Visually if you are plump (or not) if you use a lighter color for the center panels and a dark color for the rest it makes your waist look smaller. The darker color sort of disappears and the eye is naturally drawn to the lighter colored center panels. I also love the collar on this bodice. I get tired of the basic high collars on many Victorian fashions. Now, on to the overskirt!

Pattern:
TV326 Hermione overskirt.

Fabric:
Cotton poplin, same as bodice. Various types of trim were used. I actually had several lengths of leftover black gimp in different styles so I used them on various parts of the skirt. Win Win! I also used black chainette fringe and some leftover black velveteen that I made up into bows.

Alterations:
None.

Construction:
I had no difficulty sewing it together. I will say that cotton poplin is very dense and it was difficult to sew though on some of the intersecting seams. Also it is kind of a bitch to get that front upper panel seam to match up perfectly. I slapped a bow on mine because it was 1/4 inch off. Bows are great for covering mistakes!

If I were to make this skirt again I would use a lighter weight fabric, silk or less dense cotton.

Pictures!

It started to rain so I had to use an umbrella. As you can see there is a whole lot going on with the overskirt.


 Back view.




Thanks for stopping by!! I'm trying to stay positive and hopefully I will be able to wear these at VicFest 2021! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment